My Guide Website?
TellBetter’s Broadway: A Self-Guided Audio Tour
Discover the back alleys and backstories of NYC’s musical theater district on this self-guided walking tour. Experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through Broadway.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in New York City:If youʻre booking your trip to New York City last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From New York City: Boston and the Freedom Trail Day Trip
- American Dream: Dreamworks Indoor Water Park Entry Ticket
- From Westchester: New York City Scenic Helicopter Tour
- From Manhattan: 4-Hour Dyker Heights Holiday Lights Bus Tour
- NYC: Museum of Ice Cream Entry Ticket
- Look beyond the glitz and glam of Broadway and marvel at it's iconic landmarks
- Hear from producer Tom Darbyshire, the founder of Tellbetter Tours
- Do it all in 120 minutes or linger at stops along the way; it's up to you!
- Get unlimited use of the tour before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionLook beyond the glitz and glam of Broadway and you’ll realize that the renowned theater district is filled with legendary stories as entertaining as the shows that fill its stages. From the bright lights of Times Square to Broadway’s hidden alleys, on this walking tour you’ll strut in the footsteps of the theater world’s icons. Starting on Times Square’s big red steps, you’ll stroll past the George M Cohan statue and hear how a 14-year-old create a uniquely American art form -- the Broadway Musical -- at at a time when entertainment was largely imported. As you walk, I’ll share the fascinating backstories of the musicals that changed everything, from Show Boat and Oklahoma! to Rent and Hamilton. You’ll learn how Andrew Lloyd Weber's 'British Invasion' conquered Broadway with one mega-musical after another, from Jesus Christ Superstar and Cats to Phantom of the Opera. I’ll teach you how to speak fluent Broadway, giving you the lowdown on lingo like sung-thru, movicals, and jukebox musicals. I’ll also show you St Malachy’s, affectionately known as the Actor’s Chapel, where instead of praying to be healed, visitors pray to break a leg! Deeply researched, cleverly written, and professionally produced, this tour isn’t just a walk through a historic district, it’s a stroll through time, with fascinating stories at every turn. Even serious Broadway geeks and aficionados will learn new secrets and stories, putting faces and places together as we wind our way through these legendary streets to many notable theaters, ending at the Times Square Church. Please note: This tour focuses on the theater district and history of the Broadway musical. There’s another TellBetter tour that focuses on the non-theatrical stories and sights of Times Square and legendary 42nd Street.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.