My Guide Website?
New York City: Harlem Renaissance Walking Tour with Lunch20 Reviews
Discover some of the most beautiful theaters, ballrooms, and churches in Harlem on a 3-hour walking tour of Harlem Renaissance locations. Learn about legendary Harlem residents, such as the poet Langston Hughes, and jazz musicians like Duke Ellington.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in New York City:If youʻre booking your trip to New York City last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Stroll present-day Harlem learning about the Harlem Renaissance
- Learn about legendary Harlem Renaissance residents, such as Pig Foot Mary
- Enjoy a lunch at a local Harlem restaurant
- See the theaters, ballrooms, and churches that cultivated Harlem talent
- Discover why this period in American history was so important for African-American culture
DescriptionEmbark on a journey through present-day Harlem to see the people and places that helped create the Harlem Renaissance, and discover why this period in American history was so magical and important for African-American culture. During the 3-hour walking tour, you will discover where Jungle Alley was, and learn why 135th Street was such a crucial area during the Harlem Renaissance. Along the way, see wonderful theaters, ballrooms, and churches that were jumping during the Renaissance. Your guide will bring the history alive as they tell stories of the most influential individuals, from the writers Langston Hughes and Zora Neal Hurston, to jazz legends such as Duke Ellington. Hear about the cook Lillian Harris Dean and why she took the name “Pig Foot Mary.” Discover how Madame CJ Walker made her millions, and explore Harlem in art form via the artist Jacob Lawrence and photographer James Van Der Zee. Once the walking tour comes to a close, you will be treated to a delicious lunch at a local restaurant to experience life in Harlem today.
- Tour must be booked at least 48 hours in advance