My Guide Website?
Grand Central Terminal: Self-Guided Walking Tour22 Reviews
See the entire Grand Central Terminal, the most famous train station in the world, on a New York City self-guided walking tour. Explore at your own pace.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in New York City:If youʻre booking your trip to New York City last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Tour the station at your own pace
- Walk the entire station from the Main Concourse to the lower levels
- Learn the little-known history of the terminal
- Take a tour by local guides, creative writers, and professional voice artists
- Enjoy animated videos allowing you to visualize what you cannot see
DescriptionStart by downloading the Action Tour Guide app, which will function as your personal tour guide, audio tour, and map. Note: This 0.1+mile-tour covers the essentials of Grand Central Terminal in 1-2 hours Get to know Grand Central Terminal on this self-guided walking tour that takes you through the whole terminal, points out the most significant spots, and reveals the little-known history behind it all. Enjoy the flexibility of a tour taken via an app that functions as your personal guide, narrator, and map. Arrive outside the terminal to start your tour. From here, you can admire the elegant entryway and learn about the statues that stand guard at its entrance. Enter the station via Vanderbilt Hall, a beautiful space named after the station’s founders. Learn the facts on the unbelievably rich Vanderbilt family and a multimillion-dollar drama of rivalry between the Vanderbilts and the Rockefellers. Continue to the Main Concourse, which you’ve likely seen in plenty of films and TV shows. This concourse is even more impressive in person, full of marble, crystal, and gold. Next, visit the terminal’s famous clock and learn why it might just be worth $20 million. Learn how Grand Central practically invented time as we know it while crossing the vast concourse. Turn your eyes skyward next, toward the sky ceiling. Learn the special meaning behind each constellation painted here. Plus, learn about the time NASA damaged the Main Concourse with a rocket. Afterwards, unpack the hidden symbolism within the extravagant chandeliers and find out how the station’s employees get from place to place without having to cross the busy concourse. Then, visit the often-overlooked Station Master’s Office and hear about how part of Grand Central was almost torn down by developers once. Finally, finish off your tour by heading to the lower levels to visit the strange and wonderful Whispering Gallery and the lavish Oyster Bar where New York’s Roaring ’20s have been beautifully preserved.
IncludesA link to download the Action Tour Guide app and a unique password for your tour(s). An audio guide, location-aware map, and storyteller — all in one mobile app tour. Our mission: To explore the world and its many stories. Join us! Excellent value: Buy only one tour per car. Don’t hassle with “per person” bus tickets. Ease of use: Stories auto-play based on your location so you don’t have to do anything once you’ve started. Offline map: Works without a cell signal or wifi once downloaded. Hidden gems: Visit often-missed spots and enrich your experience with little-known history. Flexibility: Explore at your own pace with no fixed schedule. Take a break, a hike, whatever, and pick up where you left off! No expiration date: Your tour is valid for life. Listen whenever, wherever, and however often you want. All-day support line: Call, chat, or email for help.
- This tour is a self-guided mobile app tour with a map, audio stories, and images.
- Access the tour on the Action Tour Guide app (separate from the Get Your Guide app).
- Use the unique password received after booking to download & preview your specific tours before you arrive.
- Start at the Starting Point. Follow the tour route. All audio stories play automatically based on your location.
- Flexible schedule: Use it on any day and at any time, or over multiple days. No need to rebook if your travel plans change.
- Lifetime access: Use it on your next trip here! This tour never expires.
- Walking tour: Use one tour per couple and share headphones.
- Get support by calling, chatting, or emailing - all day long.